Lithograph from Adolphe Duperly's work, 'Daguerian Excursions in Jamaica.' It shows the Court House in Falmouth on the day of an election. The Falmouth Court House was built in 1815 on land purchased from Edward Barrett, and it was located at the corner of Duke and Market Streets. A number of works used the daguerreotype as a basis for illustrations in the 1840s. Most commonly, the original plate was traced or otherwise copied and used as the basis for lithographic or other printing processes. This had the advantage that figures and other moving objects could be added to enliven scenes, which with the slow exposure time of the daguerreotype, often displayed a ghostly lack of human presence. This practice became obsolete with the growing custom of pasting original prints ? which could be produced in quantity from a single negative ? into published works.