This engraving is taken from Edward Long's 'The History of Jamaica.' The King's House was located on the west side of the town centre square in Spanish Town, the Jamaican capital. In 1761 the original building on the site, the Spanish Hall of Audience, was destroyed and in its place the King's House was erected under the direction of Mr Caskell. This building was the Governor's residence until 1872 when the capital was transferred to Kingston. The building was described by Long as, 'the noblest and best edifice of the kind in North America, or any of the British Colonies?' It was built and furnished at a cost of £30,000, using freestone from the Hope River and with Portland stone to create the 12 magnificent columns. There was a large ballroom that ran the length of the house and many social functions were held there.