A mapp of the parish of St Pauls, Covent Garden, taken from the last survey (1685)
Cartographer: Blome, Richard
The plan's title features in a banner at the top centre, with a key at the top left Pecked lines show parish boundaries. Bedford House and garden appear on this map. Built in 1586 to replace the Earls of Bedford's earlier mansion on the south side of the Strand, it was demolished in 1706, making way for Southampton Street, Tavistock Street and Tavistock Row.
Covent Garden was the metropolitan estate of the Earls and Dukes of Bedford, whose family name was Russell. They later came to own much of Bloomsbury, hence the name of Russell Square.