A survey of the land belonging to the hospital for the maintenance & education of exposed & deserted young children
Architect: Newton, William
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
This is a 19th century copy of an original topographical drawing by Newton of the land belonging to the Foundling Hospital in Bloomsbury. The scale bars, keys to colour and fields measurements appear in a table below the plan. Thomas Coran founded the hospital in 1741, after years of philanthropic work among underprivileged children. Originally in Hatton Garden, the hospital moved in 1742 to the site on Lamb's Conduit Fields after the £6,500 purchase of 56 acres of land from the Earl of Salisbury.