A MAP OF THE PARISH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN BERMONDSEY
Cartographer: Blome, Richard
Plan of the parish of St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey from J. Strype's edition of Stow's Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster and borough of Southwark published in 1754-56. The title appears along the top, with a key to streets, lanes, courts and alleys in tables at top left and lower right, compass rose in the centre, and scale bar at bottom right.
Damaged by repeated flooding, the old medieval parish church of St Mary was demolished at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1715, a new parish church was erected on the site with funds raised by the parishioners themselves after the Commissioners of the Fifty New Churches Act turned down their request for money.