A plan of London, with its modern improvements
Publisher: Phillips, Richard
This map is a later edition one first issued by Phillips at the beginning of the 19th century, re-engraved by Neele with the addition of plans for the London Docks at Wapping. Daniel Alexander’s original design for this area comprised the 20-acre St George’s Dock, to the west, and the seven-acre Shadwell Dock, to the east. Each would have its own basin, and be linked by a small Tobacco Dock.
When opened in 1805 the London Docks were the nearest to the city and for 21 years all shipments of tobacco, rice, wine and brandy (except those from the East and West Indies) had to unload there.