A plan of the Palace Gardens and town of Kensington
Cartographer: Rocque, John
Date: ca. 1752
The title of this plan of Kensington Palace and Gardens appears in English and French, with scale bars and a key to architectural and natural features, in a panel below the plan. Kensington Gardens were originally attached to Nottingham House, which was bought in 1689 by William III and turned into Kensington Palace. Queen Mary took a great interest in the gardens and had them landscaped by royal gardeners in formal Dutch patterns.
Uprooted by order of Queen Anne at the beginning of the 18th century, the Dutch gardens were replaced in 1726 by this Wise and Bridgeman design, including the round pond, the Broad Walk and the Temple Lodge.