Click here to skip to content

A mapp of the parish of St Giles's in the Fields (1755)

A mapp of the parish of St Giles's in the Fields (1755)

Cartographer: Blome, Richard

Medium: Engraving

Date: 1755

Shelfmark: Maps Crace Port. 15.1.(2.)

Item number: 1.(2.)

Length: 318

Width: 381

Scale: Millimetres

Genre: Plan

Map scale description: ca. 2 1/2" : 600 Feet

Related images

1 2
Plan of the parish of St Giles's from the 1755 edition of Strype's edition of J. Stow's Survey of the cities of London and Westminster. Compared to the earlier edition of the plan, Southampton House, near the top left, is indicated as Bedford House. William Russell, the second son of the 5th Earl of Bedford, came to own Southampton House by marriage in 1669. Russell's son inherited the title and estates of the Dukes of Bedford and, in 1734, the name of the property was changed to Bedford House. Other changes include: the new church of St George's, marked 56 and a watch house on High Holborn. A pecked line encloses the parish.

Search within this collection

Elsewhere on our websites


Latest events - register free online