Bishops-gate ward within and without according to a new survey
Engraver: Cole, Benjamin
This plan was published in William Maitland's 'History of London from its Foundation to the Present Time'. The map's title features in ornamental cartouche near top right, with the arms of dedicatee Matthew Blakiston, the ward's Alderman, at top left. An illustrated view of St Ethelburga's church is at bottom left, with Great St Hellen's church at bottom right. The compass star and scale bar appear at bottom centre.
Engraved by Cole, Maitland's ward plans were largely derived from Strype's original plans, with the illustrations copied from West & Tow's 'Prospect Views of Ancient Churches' of 1736.