Ground Plan of the NEW BETHLEM HOSPITAL
Engraver: Basire, James
Commissioned by the House of Commons, this plan's title and compass star feature at top left with scale bar at bottom centre. Founded in 1247 outside Bishopsgate by the Sheriff Simon Fitz Mary as the Priory of St Mary Bethlem, the institution was moved from Moorfields to Lambeth in 1800 after the hospital's surveyor, James Lewis, reported the original site unsafe. Designed to accommodate 200 patients with psychiatric instabilities, the new building was completed in 1815.