London and its environs. Drawn from the latest surveys
Publisher: Mogg, E.S.
The radius of the red circle on this map (above St. Paul's) extends for three miles around the Post Office. The Post Office was erected on the site of St Martin-le-Grand. Designed by Sir Robert Smirke, it was opened in 1829. Coloured roads represent omnibus routes. Buses gradually replaced hackney coaches after the hackney's monopoly ended in 1832. The site of the 1851 Great Exhibition in Hyde Park is indicated.