[Drawn plan of old Carlton House made for the Dowager Princess of Wales]
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Built at the beginning of the 18th century for Henry Boyle, Baron Carlton, Carlton House house was purchased in 1732 by Frederick, Prince of Wales. It was in a poor state by the 1780s, and the Prince of Wales commissioned Henry Holland to reconstruct it. Work on the house began in 1783 and continued for 30 years, with neighbouring properties bought and demolished to make way for new wings.
Room names are indicated, with a scale bar at bottom centre.