[Drawn plan of St James's Palace, Marlborough House, York House, Bridgewater House and the improvements intended in St James's Street and Thatched House Court, &c.].
Surveyor: Chawner, Thomas
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
The plan shows part of the garden of Marlborough House. The neighbouring St James Palace, Thatched House, Bridgewater House, York House and other properties on St James's Street are shown with their respective lease-expiry dates.
Marlborough House was built for Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, when Queen Anne granted a 50-year lease on the land adjoining St. James's Palace. The house remained in the Marlborough family until 1817 when it was returned to the Crown. Sir Christopher Wren had originally been commissioned to design the house, but the Duchess of Marlborough, unhappy with his work, took over the project herself. Work on the house started in 1709 and was completed by 1711.