Map of London printed in 32 sheets and published sheet by sheet between 1792 and 1799, the work of several engravers working to the direction of the cartographer Richard Horwood. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. This edition features a Phoenix at top left with the word "protection" emblazoned beneath it and is uncoloured in its entirety. The Tower of London is shown only by outline, as Horwood records that "The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey", testimony that a surveyor was not always welcome. Industries such as brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the city, are located south of the river in Southwark. Barclay Perkins & Co., the largest brewery in the world during the 1800s, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital (for incurables). At the time of this map, the hospital had recently been extended to include a new ward for "lunatics". This map was re-issued, with additions and alterations, at least four times until 1819.