Plan of the Royal Exchange London
Publisher: Campbell, Colin
This plan of the trading floor of the Royal Exchange was published in Colin Campbell's 'Vitruvius Britannicus'. The title is at bottom left, repeated in French at bottom right. The scale bar features at bottom centre.
The construction of the Royal Exchange on Lombard Street was financed by Thomas Gresham, the Antwerp-based merchant and diplomat. Completed in 1567, the building was destroyed by the great fire of 1666 and a new, larger building, designed by the City Surveyor Edward Jarman, was erected in its place between 1667-69, opening to traders in September 1669.