PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood.
This magnificent map covers 32 sheets, each measuring 21" 5/8 x 19" 3/4. It was published sheet by sheet between 1792 and99 and was the work of several engravers under the direction of cartographer Richard Horwood. It is generally considered to be the most important London map of the 18th century. Horwood intended originally to show every house and its number but this was to prove impossible. Although every house is included the numbering was never completed.
Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. The map is coloured, describing parks in green and the London Wall in red. The Tower of London is shown only by outline; Horwood records that: 'The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey', evidence that a surveyor was not always welcome.
Southwark was traditionally a district where the industries of brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the main city, were located. Barclay Perkins & Cos., which in the coming century was to become the largest brewery in the world, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital ("for incurables") which at had recently been extended to include a new hospital for the psychiatrically disturbed. This map was reissued at least four times, with relevant additions and alterations, up until 1819.