Plan general du palais & jardins de Kensington situé dans le conté de Middlesex, a 2 miles de Londres
Cartographer: Rocque, John
On this plan of Kensington Palace and Gardens, the key is at bottom left, with title and dedication at bottom centre, and scale bar at bottom left. The Kensington Gardens were originally attached to Nottingham House, which was bought in 1689 by William III and turned into Kensington Palace. Queen Mary took a great interest in the gardens and had them landscaped by royal gardeners in formal Dutch patterns.
Uprooted by order of Queen Anne at the beginning of the 18th century, the Dutch gardens were replaced in 1726 by this Wise and Bridgeman design, which included the round pond, the Broad Walk and the Temple Lodge.