Brick and timber store-houses at the Dockyard At Deptford
Surveyor: [Dummer, Edmund]
Medium: Ink and pigments on paper
As the royal dockyard closest to London, Deptford was the headquarters of the administration of the navy from Tudor times onwards, and the focus of a populous community of shipyard workers. This drawing is part of a comprehensive survey of the royal dockyards made in 1698. This work is attributed to Edmund Dummer who was chief surveyor to the British Royal Navy at this time, and was intended to illustrate the exact state of the dockyards.
This drawing shows the brick and timber storehouses at the dockyard. The draughtsman has recorded these structures in great detail, showing even the pattern of the tiles on the roof. Each structure is shown in both plan and elevation, with written details and a key of what is stored where. In the 'sheathing board house', where the wooden boards which cover the hull of the ship were stored, 'oyle' (oil)and 'rozin' (resin) are also stored. These would have been used to treat the wood to protect it from marine borers. The amount of ground that each structure occupies and its value is recorded both before and after the Revolution of 1688 when William and Mary of Orange ascended the throne as joint monarchs and defenders of Protestantism, in place of James II.