Chapel High Street, Deptford
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
This picture is of a chapel found on Deptford High Street c.1841. Although it cannot be correctly identified, records indicate that a Congregational chapel was founded on the High Street in 1660.
Deptford flourished during the 17th century, when its wooden cottages were home to the shipwrights, sailors and craftsmen who worked for the Royal Navy. Sea captains, foremen and officials occupied the brick built houses that lined the main streets such as the High Street. It was in the 19th century that Deptford became a huge industrial centre hosting chemical works, engineering works, gasworks, soap and candle factories, sawmills, coal and timber wharves, paintworks, breweries, food stores and verdigris works for the manufacture of copper sulphate.