Chapel King Street New Town, Deptford
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
View of the chapel in King Street, New Town in Deptford. Although the building cannot be precisely identified, there are records of an Independent Chapel situated on Kings Street in 1811.
New Town, south of Deptford Broadway, was a fast developing residential area at the end of the 18th century. It was home to the shipwrights, sailors and craftsmen who worked in the dockyards. As with the rest of Deptford and Woolwich, New Town's development halted following the end of the Napoleonic Wars. It was not until the introduction of the London to Greenwich railway that the neighbourhood experienced a revival, becoming an industrial centre for chemical works, engineering works, mills, paintworks and breweries.