Croydon Railway station near New Cross Deptford
Artist: Lennell, C.
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
View of Croydon railway station near New Cross on the London to Croydon line. The station was opened here in 1839.
The area of New Cross lies on the main route from London to Dover and the South East. The Domesday Book notes that it was a hamlet that had nine villagers, two smallholders and three pigs. Records indicate that the locality developed very little during the medieval period, remaining heavily wooded until the 17th century. The district was originally known as Hatcham, an Anglo-Saxon term meaning "Haecci's estate". This title was eventually to be replaced by "New Cross", on account of the very popular New Cross Inn. Many travellers passed through the neighbourhood on their journeys to the capital, and a toll gate was introduced, operating from 1718 to1865. The Royal Naval School was founded here in 1843, providing support for the families of impoverished officers who served in nearby Deptford. In 1869 an underground link was made to New Cross and the south east of London using the world's oldest river tunnel.