Deptford Green, Kent
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
View of Deptford Green showing the entrance to Deptford Pier.
After the closure of Deptford's Royal Dockyard in the early 19th century, vast tracts of land were left unemployed on the waterfront and in the environs of the old Church of St Nicholas and Deptford Green. In 1839, an Act of Parliament was passed, establishing the Deptford Pier and Improvement Company. As laid out in the Act, the company's purpose was to "build a new town, consisting of wide streets, adapted for healthful residence or commercial occupation".
The blue sign seen on the left in the picture is of the brewery firm Barclay and Perkins (now part of the Courage company). The firm was well known in the 18th and 19th centuries for its rather strong "Imperial Russian" beer, so called on account of it being readily consumed by clients in the Russian Empire.