Extract giving details of structures at the Dockyard At Deptford
Surveyor: [Dummer, Edmund]
Medium: Ink and pigments on paper
As the royal dockyard closest to London, Deptford was the headquarters of the administration of the navy from Tudor times onwards, and the focus of a populous community of shipyard workers. This drawing is part of a comprehensive survey of the royal dockyards made in 1698. This work is attributed to Edmund Dummer who was chief surveyor to the British Royal Navy at this time, and was intended to illustrate the exact state of the dockyards.
This extract details various buildings around the dockyard, recording the building material. The amount of ground that each structure occupies and its value is recorded, both before and after the Revolution of 1688 when William and Mary of Orange ascended the throne as joint monarchs and defenders of Protestantism, in place of James II.