Greenwich Railway Crossing High Street Deptford
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
View of the Greenwich railway viaduct and station crossing Deptford High Street. Built in 1836 as part of the first section of the London to Greenwich line, the station is now the oldest surviving in the capital. with the station waiting room and cofee shop depicted on the right and St Paul's church tower in the background.
Deptford flourished during the 17th century, when its wooden cottages were home to the shipwrights, sailors and craftsmen who worked for the Royal Navy. Sea captains, foremen and officials occupied the brick built houses that lined the main streets such as the High Street. In the 19th century the town became a huge industrial centre hosting chemical works, engineering works, gasworks, soap and candle factories, sawmills, coal and timber wharves, paintworks, breweries, food stores and verdigris works for the manufacture of copper sulphate.