High Street, Deptford
Artist: Clennell, L.
Medium: Ink wash on paper
View of Deptford High Street showing the Swan Inn and George Wade cheesemongers in the foreground. Until 1825, the High Street was known as Butt Lane.
Deptford flourished during the 17th century, when its wooden cottages were home to the shipwrights, sailors and craftsmen who worked for the Royal Navy. Sea captains, foremen and officials occupied the brick built houses that lined the main streets such as the High Street. It was in the 19th century that Deptford became a huge industrial centre hosting chemical works, engineering works, gasworks, soap and candle factories, sawmills, coal and timber wharves, paintworks, breweries, food stores and verdigris works for the manufacture of copper sulphate.