Hatcham House, the Residence of Daniel Hardcastle Esq
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
View of Hatcham House on New Cross Road. Built in the early 1770s, the manor house became the residence of the Hardcastle Family in 1789. The Hardcastles were merchants trading predominantly with the Baltic Countries.
The area of New Cross lies on the main route from London to Dover and the South East. The Domesday Book notes that it was a hamlet that had nine villagers, two smallholders and three pigs. Records indicate that the locality developed very little during the medieval period, remaining heavily wooded until the 17th century. The district was originally known as Hatcham, an Anglo-Saxon term meaning "Haecci's estate". This title was eventually to be replaced by "New Cross", on account of the very popular New Cross Inn. Many travellers passed through the neighbourhood on their journeys to the capital, and a toll gate was introduced, operating from 1718 to1865.