St Edmund's church, Gateshead
Shelfmark: Additional MS 15543
The oldest part of what is now Saint Edmund's church, on Gateshead High Street, was originally part of the hospital of Saint Edmund. For many years following the Reformation it lay in ruins, but in 1837 after restoration work supervised by John Dobson it was reopened as Trinity Chapel (there already being a St. Edmunds' chapel in the town at this time). The building was extended in 1893 and renamed Holy Trinity. In more recent years, the extension has become a community centre, while the church has returned to being called Saint Edmund's (the other Saint Edmund's church on having been demolished).