Shelfmark: Additional MS 15540
This church, dedicated to St Mary, was founded in the 12th century as part of the ancient parish of Pittington. It shows examples of Saxon and Norman architecture. Grimm’s view of the hospital chapel from the north shows the Norman nave, surviving from the original 12th-century building. The tower, added a century later, still has some good architectural detailing despite much repair and re-facing.
The chapel had a troubled time during the 19th century. A north aisle was added as part of its refurbishment in 1836. Less than a year later, the master banked up the fire on a Saturday night to warm the chapel for the service next morning. Alas, a heating flue became blocked and the wooden panelling caught fire in the early hours. The building was gutted and had to wait five years before repairs could take place.