Lumley Castle f. 24
Shelfmark: Add. MS 42016
The west front of Lumley Castle now overlooks Durham’s new Riverside County Cricket Ground at Chester le Street. The castle, a ‘quadrangular place’, was built at the end of the 14th century by Sir Ralph Lumley. In order to add the battlements to his home, Sir Ralph had to acquire a ‘license to crenelate’ from both the king and the prince bishop.
Despite his involvement with a rebellion that cost Sir Ralph his head in 1402, the Lumley family have retained their castle ever since. They later became the Earls of Scarborough. The second earl had the castle’s frontage remodelled by Sir John Vanbrugh, best known as the architect of Blenheim Palace. Little changed today, the castle is now a hotel.