Durham, Neville's Cross
Shelfmark: Additional MS 15538
A view in ink of Neville's Cross near Durham. This monument derives its popular name from Sir Ralph Neville, who led a 15,000-strong force of English soldiers into battle against Scottish invaders here, in October 1346. In a short, but bloody and decisive, battle King David was captured and his army destroyed. The English force, among them Bishop Thomas Hatfield, was inspired to victory by a ceremonial cloth of St Cuthbert, displayed as a banner by the monks of Durham on a neighbouring hill. Neville erected a great decorative cross nearby to commemorate the victory.
In 1589, the cross “was broken down and defaced by some lewd and wicked persons”, leaving only the poor stump as depicted here by Grimm.