Durham College f.168
Shelfmark: Additional MS 15538
A gatehouse guarded access to the bailey on the east side. The deanery and great kitchen on the north backed on to the priory. Grimm's drawing shows the predominantly Georgian-era south range, which had much medieval material behind and beneath the facades. To the right is the conduit house, which supplied water to the houses: built in 1751, it is an early example of the Gothic revival style. The scene, an oasis of almost rural peace, is little changed today.