Durham Cathedral and Castle
Shelfmark: Additional MS 15538
The city of Durham is dominated by the castle in this image. To the foreground is the Elvet Bridge, built in the late 12th century by Bishop Hugh le Puiset. It was badly damaged by flooding in 1771 and repaired only a few years before Grimm drew it. The 15th-century North Gate protected the only road from the city to the rest of the Durham peninsula. It would later serve as a prison until its demolition in 1820.