Bearpark, East front of the Gateway
Shelfmark: Additional MS 15538
Grimm's drawing of the lost gatehouse at Beaurepaire shows the arms of the See of Durham over an archway built around 1500. The prior's manor house stood at the centre of a 1,300-acre walled park. As well as providing ample recreation for the prior, the park also supplied the cathedral priory with much of its fuel and building materials. It even had a stud farm for the prior's horses. The house had been wrecked by the Scots during the conflicts of the early-14th century, but substantially restored afterwards.