Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
"About seven miles south-west of Clonmel...stands, in gloomy magnificence, the ruins of the once splendid Castle of Ardfinnan. This fortress was built by King John, when Earl of Moreton, in 1185, on the site of a monastery founded in the seventh century by St. Finnan, the Leper, from whom the village of Ardfinnan takes its present name...About the year 903, Cormac Mac Cuillenan, King and Bishop of Munster, made a bequest of gold, silver, and arms to this monastery, afterwards burnt by the English in 1179."
Text by William Hemphill.