Augustinian Abbey, Cahir
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
The priory was "founded in the reign of King John, by Geoffry De Camvill, 'to the honour of the Blessed Virgin,' for canons regular of the Order of St. Augustine. This establishment flourished until the year of 1540, when it was surrendered to the Crown...The ruins extend over a considerable space of ground, and include the remains of several cloisters, besides the tower, part of the nave, and the walls of the choir, the only interesting feature of which is a mullioned window with sculptured heads."
Text by William Hemphill.