AD 1130, Arcade Of South Aisle Of Choir, With Arch Inserted AD 1176
Medium: Photographic print
Arches in the south aisle of the choir in Canterbury Cathedral. It was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. In 1174 a fire destroyed much of choir, but during its subsequent reconstruction the outer walls of the choir aisles retained much that is early 12th century undamaged. Several shafts and capitals were replaced in the 1170s, so that a comparison can be made between the axe-cut mouldings of c. 1100 and the chisel-carved ones of 1175.
The left hand arch above "is similar to all the ramaining arches of Ernulf's work, and its ornament has manifestly been wrought with an axe. The right hand arch, which resembles those of the eastern transepts, the work of William of Sens, has deep moldings and the Early English dog-tooth, which could only have been cut with a chisel."
Text by the Rev. Robert Willis