Angle Of The South Transept, Shewing Two Periods Of Construction And The Lengthening Of The Shafts, AD 1130 And AD 1178
Medium: Photographic print
Interior view of the South Transept at Canterbury Cathedral, flooded with light from gigantic end windows. The cathedral was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. In 1174 a fire gutted the cathedral choir. French architect William of Sens began reconstruction work on the choir and its extension eastwards to the Trinity Chapel and Corona in an early Gothic style. The work of William of Sens was completed by William the Englishman and it became of great subsequent influence in the development of English architecture. The nave and cloisters were rebuilt in Perpendicular style in the 14th century; the transepts and towers were completed in the 15th century.