Ashburnham House, The Garden
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"The wall seen in the photograph, forming the northern boundary of the garden, is the wall of the Refectory of Westminster Abbey. The lower arcade with round-headed arches, remains of which are still visible in places, is of the time of Edward the Confessor or of the first Norman Kings, the upper is of the time of Edward III. In this magnificent chamber, extending along the whole length of the South Cloister of the Abbey, the Commons not unfrequently assembled...The small summer house seen on the left is by Inigo Jones, and it is worthy of note."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.