Alcove, Lindsey House
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"Lindsey House, sometimes called Ancaster House, after a subsequent owner, is assigned to the year 1640. It was built by Jones for Robert Bertie, Earl of Lindsey, who fell at the King's side at the battle of Edgehill...The interior of the house, the planning of which was blamed by Walpole, has been completely altered."
The alcove, probably by Ware "...bears the arms of the Shiffner family, a member of which appears, from the Gentleman's Magazine for 1759, to have resided in that year in Lincoln's Inn Fields."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from Photographs of Old London'.