Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
Austin Friars is named after the leading Augustinian monastery in England, founded in 1253 by Humphery de Bohun.
"The house, No. 10, is a good example of the genuine Queen Anne style; its date, 1704, is seen on the rain-pipe...At the dissolution the house was bestowed on William Paulet, the first Marquis of Winchester, and from the residence built by him on the site of the Friars' house, cloister, and gardens, Great Winchester Street took its name."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.