Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"This ancient stronghold, a residence of the Earls of Atholl for several centuries, stands on an eminence between Blair Athole and the Garry.
It was a post of great importance in the times of the civil wars, being a centre of the clans and a garrison of the Marquis of Montrose
In 1689, it was held by an officer of Viscount Dundee on behalf of the exiled family of Stuart; and an attempt to beseige it, made by Lord Murray, son of the Marquis of Atholl, led to the famous battle of Killiecrankie.
It was lastly laid seige to in 1746, but was gallantly defended by Sir Andrew Agnew against the Highlanders, who retired from it shortly before the battle of Culloden.
The Castle was formerly two storeys higher, with turrets, but these were removed to prevent its being used again by Government as a garrison."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery' by G W Wilson