Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"Opposite the High School, upon the road side, stands the monument of the Scottish Bard, erected in 1830. It has a plain quadrangular base, a circular superstructure, and a cupolar summit. The superstructure is surrounded with twelve beautiful Corinthian columns, and the cupola is a copy of the monument of Lysicrates at Athens, crowned by winged griffins supporting a tripod. Some time ago, the interior of the building contained Flaxman's statue of the Poet, but it has been removed to the National Gallery. It is now fitted up as a repository for interesting memorials of the Bard, and his bust, lately executed by W. Brodie, R.S.A., is placed therein."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery' by G W Wilson