Bolton Priory, West End
Photographer: Sedgfield, W. Russell
Medium: Photographic print
“The ruins, surrounded and mingled with magnificent trees, present a most exquisite combination of towers, lofty broken arches and gables, with projections and windows of most varied character, draped with ivy, and standing on its low green sward in a noble monastic solemnity. The different proportions of the building display every successive style from the Norman down to the decorated, the final order of Anglo-Gothic. It is evident at a glance that it has been the work of successive hands, and successive ages. To comprehend the whole the visitor must examine the details himself. We are told that Alice de Romeli, - in 1151, thirty-one years after the period of the foundation, - who had married William Fitz-Duncan, nephew to David king of Scotland, gave this rich and sheltered spot to the monks in exchange for the more bleak and exposed estates of Skipton and Embsey: and that most sorrowful occasion, of which we shall more particularly speak. The fortunate possessors did not cease to enlarge improve and enrich their house till Henry VIII. broke in upon them, still building, and wrested the property from Richard Moon, the prior, before he had completed his western tower.”
Excerpt from “Bolton Priory”, in ‘Ruined Abbeys and Castles of Great Britain’ by William and Mary Howitt.