Castleacre Priory; Interior
Photographer: Sedgfield, W. Russell
Medium: Photographic print
In his essay on Castle Acre Priory, William Howitt quotes from the account given in Blomfield's History of 1775:
“‘The site of the priory church, which lies west of the castle, was a venerable large Gothic pile of freestone, flint, &c., and built in a cathedral or conventual manner... The grand entrance was north of the priory church, where is now standing a large and stately gatehouse of freestone. Over the arch, as you enter, are the arms of the Earl Warren, of Arundel, and Warren, quarterly, France and England, and those of the priory. The whole site was enclosed with a lofty stone wall, good part of which is still standing.’”
Howitt continued: “Great dilapidations have taken place in the ruins since the description...given of them by Blomfield. Parkins, in his History of Norfolk, gives many pages of the gifts of churches, manors, lands, tithes, &c., by men and women of estate, to this priory…A little towards the east of the priory stood the castle of the Earls of Warren and Surrey, on a rising ground, including within its fortifications and outworks about eighteen acres of ground in a circular form.”
Excerpts from “Castleacre Priory”, in ‘Ruined Abbeys and Castles of Great Britain and Ireland’ by William Howitt.