Cormac's Chapel, Exterior, Rock Of Cashel
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
Exterior of Cormac's Chapel on the Rock of Cashel, a fourth-century fortified height in the Golden Vale, Tipperary. Cashel was the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland and seat of the ancient Kings of Munster until Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, came to power. In 1101 the Rock was handed over to the Church by Murtogh O'Brien.
This chapel is "one of the most beautiful and celebrated stone-roofed churches in the kingdom...It consists of a nave and chancel, with two square towers at the north and south-east angles of the nave, giving the plan of the building the usual cruxiform shape."
Extract from 'Stereoscopic Illustrations of Clonmel'.