Crypt Under Trinity Chapel, AD 1181, With The Junction Of The Old Crypt, AD 1112
Medium: Photographic print
Canterbury Cathedral was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. In 1174 a fire destroyed much of choir but left the crypt untouched and therefore remarkably preserved.
However, by 1181 William the Englishman had completed a new crypt underneath the new Trinity Chapel which he built in honour of Saint Thomas. His Trinity Chapel crypt was decisively higher than Ernulf's crypt of 1112.