Clement's Inn, Garden House
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"The photograph shows the well-known Garden House, with the trim lawn before it and the sun-dial, sold in 1884 by the Ancients for twenty guineas. The background on the right shows a portion of New Inn, where the great Sir Thomas More studied. The Doric pilasters and the cornices of the ground and first floors of Garden House seem to show that it is generally of an earlier date than would be inferred from the windows and balconies. The second story is also a much later addition. The figure of the Moor supporting the sun-dial was presented to the Inn by Holles, Lord Clare, who brought it from Italy."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.