Chimney-Piece, Sessions House, Clerkenwell
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"The Chimney-piece is a relic of Hick's Hall, a very famous building in its day, erected at his own cost in 1612, by Sir Baptist Hicks, as a place of meeting for the Justices of the Peace of the County of Middlesex, who, up to this time, had held their meetings in an Inn. The site of Hick's Hall is marked by an inscription on a house in St. John's Street, at the corner of St. Peter's Lane. In 1782 the present Sessions House on Clerkenwell Green was built, and the business of the Court removed thither."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.