Chimney-Piece, Tallow Chandler's Hall
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"Tallow Chandlers' Hall, on Dowgate Hill, was rebuilt in 1672, after its destruction in the Great Fire. The Chimney-piece shown in the photograph is in the Court Parlour. Allen (History, vol. iii. p. 517) speaks of a landscape over the mantel-piece. This was the fashion of the time, and explains the oblong found over mantel-pieces of the date. The pictures have generally long since disappeared...The Tallow Chandlers' Chimney-piece is a very fine example of its kind. The table shown on the left is an interesting relic, having been rescued from the Great Fire."
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.