Court Room, New River Company, Amwell St., Clerkenwell part B0
Photographer: Dixon, Henry (1820 - 1892)
Medium: Photographic print
"The buildings of the New River Company, at River Head, in Clerkenwell, do not appear to have any great age, but a portion of them was erected so long back as 1613...The Court Room, on the first floor, was decorated as we now see it, in 1693, by Mr. John Grene, Clerk to the Company, who married a grand-daughter of Sir Hugh Myddelton, the founder of the New River Company. The Royal Arms bear the motto of William III, Je Maintiendray. The carving is ascribed to Grinling Gibbons, and the character of the work leaves little doubt that tradition is in this instance correct. The ceiling...is very rich. In the central compartment is a portrait of William III, in others are the arms of Myddelton and of Grene. (Cromwell's History of Clerkenwell, 1828.)"
Letterpress by Alfred Marks from 'Photographs of Old London'.